Friday, March 07, 2008

So, what makes me blog...finally?

Everytime I thought of writing my Blog, I used to be embarassed seeing I last wrote on the 21st of August 2007 (a post in which I blamed Satan for my laziness).
Then another lazy post during Ramadhan - reposting my valuable Ramadhan write-ups from the year before (October 2006).
Despite having endless things to share over the last 6 months, I havn't had the chance to really blog - from time-restraints, to pre-wedding preps (yep, that's one big old news now, lol), all the way to being busy with a bunch of other winter weddings, followed by muharram and safar activities..
Okay, enough of excuses of why I didn't write. I think I should get down to mentioning what actually made me write!
Everytime I log into my email account hoping to receive some sensible Email for the day, I happen to find that the notification for 20 out of 25 emails I get are all Forwarded E-mails!!
Some of these are a quick read to upgrade our GK, but 90% of them are exaggerated and 90% of those 90% are hoaxes! I say this from experience as I'm a total research-freak and I feel a grave responsibility of only forwarding information that I am quite certain about, even if it takes an extra 2 minutes to google or wiki it to cross-check.
So, as heartless as I may sound to many of you, I soooooo despise seeing the 'pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee forward and save a life emails'. I'm quite sure everyone of us has received atleast ONE of this kind - where supposedly some cents are contributed for every email forwarded to save the life of someone in need of the money. For alot of you who actually fall for these, let me tell you; these multiple e-mails cannot be tracked although they try to add credibility by quoting names of big corporate giants who have 'supposedly committed to contribute those cents to save lives'. For more info, read http://tafkac.org/ulz/emailtracking.html
Another link to review is http://www.hoax-slayer.com/ (you'll be amazed to see how much time people have to emotionally pull us through hoaxes!)
My cue: If you really want to save lives, look out for people and children in your immediate reach; your neighbourhood, your family, your community. If nothing, you can contribute to their wellbeing by merely paying a visit to them if they are sick, as the Holy Prophet (SAWW) has said "When you go in to visit an invalid, express a hope that he will live long. That will not avert anything, but it will comfort him."
Can't get about that one? Then simply click and help reliable sites and missions like http://www.thehungersite.com/
Another kind of forwards that I'm sure alllll of us have come across is the 'Pledge with 200 names against Drunk driving (or similar causes)' etc. I totally agree to the cause, I just don't get how it works! Or if it really ever works?!!
If I happened to be the 50th person on the E-mail I received, and I send it out to Leena, Teena, Meena and Reena*; then all of them are the 51st person listed on their respective emails when they further forward them. And the chain is never-ending!
*just random spontaneous names for example sake
So how many sets of 200 people eventually pledge? Uh, hold on - the list is never really complete..and never really sent back to the originator of the email. So, why bother with it in the first place?
Then we have the totally 'trashable' chain mails that threaten you with bad luck if you don't send them out and will win you wishes and life-partners if you send them out (haha!). I have already written my thoughts out on this one ages back (http://sadzee.blogspot.com/2006/09/trash-em.html)
The CLASSIC, of course is the bunch of crazy forwards where you endorse your friendship, love and care on the basis of sending back a poem or set of animated gif's to the sender as well as others you care about.
Umm, right - the reader's first obligation then is, to send it back to the person who sent it to him regardless of whether he really cares about them as much - thinking 'geez, what if he/she thinks otherwise'..
The next thing we do like silly billy's - send it out to 15 other people and trap them into the same circle of emails.
And the worst? We further circulate it through the very same circle of friends for the next 3 months. I mean, I have received the same chain email from Teena, Meena and Leena* - despite being on the same mailing list, and having the same friend's circle. And then, after a week, Reena sends it too..cuz she checked her mail a little late. And then Teena, Meena, Leena send it back again without realizing they already sent it across.. AAAAAHH!
*just random spontaneous names for example sake
And to make things worse: this has all started on SMS! *GASP*
Am I the only one noticing this stuff? I wish I could protest against these Email forwards. I can endlessly crib about how irritating they can get, but I'm sure you all got my point!
For all that you know, there's one less person you all should be sending out this stuff to; cuz Ima simply gonna trash it all, unless you have a catchy caption to it ;)
Out & About,
Sadaf A. Zee :)

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

uff saddi.. am i glad or wat..koi toh hai who understands our plight!!! u shld have a sneak at my work email inbox... i get a load of these categories on daily basis!!! :-)
btw, glad to have u back !!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Fatima said...

U hav read r hearts as to how bugging it is !!

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

tasneemsadi, glad to c u back in action. how true! these emails r a bugger, everytime 1 sees a friends name in da inbox, 1 thinks wow friend has written something abt herself/himself, but it turns out to b a FORWARDED CHAIN LETTERS.
btw, i received a chain letter recently asking me to forward or be skinned & murdered in my wardrobe, guess wat, i threw out my wardrobe rather than forward, HAHAHA

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey saddi

gud1 ther ... it was like... sum1 jus read my heart out...
i really cracked on reena leena meena part... the last part specially wher leena chks her maila bit late ;)
gud 2 hav u bck
tc !

1:29 PM  
Blogger Floo said...

I'm SO glad I stopped getting these *phew*

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every now and then someone comes across who reminds us of the person whom Imam Ali(A.S) has mentioned as the wise one who remains silent but when they speak they speak true wisdom....u have the knack to know the current problems and address them with thorough and convincing research and solve their problems thats there on their minds...so thanks for being u ..thanks for being sadaf!!!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Summaiya Noor Ali said...

hahaha...
i used to feel guilty if i dint feel like fwding those 50cents donation mails..NOT ANYMORE!!!
***yayyy...ur baaaaaaaaccckkk!!!***

10:33 PM  
Blogger sukaina said...

soooo much energy spent in writing this entry ;) we knw these mails just AREN'T going to stop...teenas,meenas n leenas of this world r here to stay :(

reason to say this - there will always be ppl who r new to the internet (a mail which states that they can save someone's life will have them positively freaked, resulting in IMMEDIATE FWDs...)

hoax mails - fwded by those wanting to further their own interests...kill time,or just get a kick out of life..n there r plenty such jobless ppl around...

friendship mails (ugh)..another lot of net novices..or those who r actually too mushy about their friends..

albeit, totally with u on the bit about 'pledge' mails..

your entry deserves attention - facebook 'Note' perhaps??

2:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good one :)

AZ

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You read my mind.

If I did not forward the chain letters such as helping the sick, I used to feel guilty.
But you are right we don't use our brains before sending and as you said we should do some research work.
Thanks for the inspiration

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Monitor de LCD, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://monitor-de-lcd.blogspot.com. A hug.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEYYYYY u great

yeh tu mere DIL KI FARYAD hey

as i m also fedup of these 4wards u knw my inbox is full of these ,,,,nt reading ,nt deletng

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home